top of page

Claiming benefits you may be entitled to


If you have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related condition you are entitled to claim certain government benefits. The benefits system is very complicated and changes all the time. Clydebank Asbestos Group can help you find out what you are entitled to as well as helping fill out any forms.


These are some of the benefits you may be entitled to:

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

If you are not able to go to work because of your illness, you may be able to get this weekly benefit. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

This is a benefit for people who are unable to work due to illness or disability. New style ESA has replaced contribution based ESA.

How much ESA you get depends on:

  • your circumstances, such as income

  • the type of ESA you qualify for

  • where you are in the assessment process.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

You may be entitled to this weekly benefit if you suffer from an asbestos-related disease that was caused by your job, or whilst working on an approved employment training scheme or course.


The asbestos-related diseases include:

  • pneumoconiosis (asbestosis)

  • diffuse mesothelioma

  • primary carcinoma of the lung with asbestosis

  • primary carcinoma of the lung without asbestosis but where there has been extensive occupational exposure to asbestos in specified occupations

  • unilateral or bilateral diffuse pleural thickening.


You can get a full list from your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

This is a benefit that helps with the extra costs of a long-term health condition or disability for people aged 16 to 64. It's gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

Attendance Allowance (AA)

This benefit is for people who have reached their state pension age and need help with personal care. People who have not yet reached their state pension age who have care needs should claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP). Attendance Allowance is not means-tested and it's tax-free.

Carers Allowance

Carer's Allowance is money for people who spend at least 35 hours a week providing regular care to someone who has a disability or illness. The person you care for must be getting a relevant benefit because of their disability, which in some cases has to be paid at a certain rate.

Pension Credit

This is an income-related benefit made up of two parts - Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit.

Social Fund

This may be available to help you with certain one-off or occasional expenses. If you meet the conditions, the Social Fund can provide funeral payments, maternity grants, budgeting loans and cold weather payments.

Scottish Welfare Fund

The Scottish Welfare Fund provides a safety net for vulnerable people on low incomes through the provision of Community Care Grants and Crisis Grants.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people in or out of work. It replaces some of the benefits and tax credits that you might be getting now.

Housing Benefit

You could get this benefit to help you pay your rent if you're on a low income and have reached your state pension age. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances. If under your state pension age housing costs are normally paid through Universal Credit.

Council Tax Reduction

If you're on a low income, you may be entitled to some help towards paying your council tax.


If you think you may be entitled to any of the above benefits please contact Clydebank Asbestos Group on 0141 951 1008, we can arrange an appointment with an in-house Welfare Rights Officer who will be only to happy to help you through the process.


Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page